Electricity Gone

(100 Words)

By Gypsie-Ami Offenbacher-Ferris

PHOTO PROMPT © Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

In response to Rochelle Wisoff-Fields’ September 30, 2022 Photo Prompt Challenge 100 words exactly.

I was prepared for every contingency, I thought. I had a bathtub full of water to flush toilets with, or boil over the hot coals of my grill if needed for use in cleaning and brushing teeth. Pantry-full of nonperishables and items I could eat without cooking.

Both dogs safely inside, enough dog food to last a week. Books to read by candlelight. Candles, matches, lighters, charcoal, check. Seems like I have everything, all bases covered.

The lights flickered twice and then the electricity was gone. Darkness and quiet filled the house. Everything I needed was here; except you.

31 Comments

1. Good( but sad) one Ami,

1. Sadje says:

You’re welcome

2. Iain Kelly says:

And yet she keeps going to survive. Nicely done.

1. Thank you Iain (replying as Hurricane Ian heads my way!)?😊

1. Iain Kelly says:

It’s spelled differently, so I am disassociating myself from it! Stay safe.

2. Good idea! I like your spelling best! Thank you! 😊

3. poetisatinta says:

Lovely story (hope you are keeping safe)

1. Thank you Di! So far so good. Rain and wind. Gusts at around 40mph. ❤️🙏❤️

4. Bear says:

I’m sure a lot of people in Florida and now the Carolina’s are feeling this… that is if they survived. So much senseless loss of life when there was plenty of warning to get out…sigh… Great story and very fitting for this week.

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes. I’m in Southport, NC. High winds and some rain so far, nothing catastrophic and no evacuation notices. Hoping it dissipates soon so we can return to sunshine! Thank you Bear! 😊

1. Bear says:

Prayers raising that all are safe and soundly protected this day.

5. Dan Antion says:

Nicely done. The ending tugs at the heart.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you Dan. Usually being alone is fine but at times, it would be nice to have a significant other! 😊

Liked by 1 person

2. Lovely line at the end. Relatable!

Liked by 2 people

6. Bill says:

Excellent, Gypsie. I hope all is well. We can prepare, but it’s best when all that is for naught. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

7. Seems she had everything except that which was most important to her.

1. Yes. Most certainly Keith. Thank you! 😊

8. granonine says:

Oh! That ending came as a surprise, for sure! Well done 🙂

Liked by 1 person

9. Thank you so much granonine! Nine grand babies?? Oh my you are extra blessed!! 🙏

10. msjadeli says:

A romantic ending, even if sad, is good. The thing I hate worst about power outages is the total silence. It does get the mind going places it sometimes doesn’t want to go. Good story.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you ms Jade – I actually love the total silence. Although if you listen closely, nature is still speaking even without our manufactured electrical gadgets! ❤️

1. msjadeli says:

You’re most welcome. I’m glad you like the silence.