Mother Earth

By Gypsie-Ami Offenbacher-Ferris

shutterstock.com

I am Mother Earth
birthplace of all living
and non-living things upon me

Be it animal, plant, water, dirt or sky
it is I who hold the key
to their creation or extinction

Those that are gentle upon my skin
may live in peace and prosperity
such as the lovely butterflies

Those that rend my skin
pollute my rivers and seas
will not see my gentler side

But the rising tides of my anger
and the swell of hot magma
from my very being and my core

It is I who rules this land of mine
all these millennium and I who will stay here long after you are gone

14 Comments

1. Sadje says:

This last line is the truth.

Liked by 1 person

1. Sadje says:

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

2. Sherry Marr says:

Yes, Mother Earth will be here and eventually recover from what we have done to her. We are so bad at hearing her message. Nice to see you at Earthweal! So glad you stopped by.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you most kindly for the great prompt, Sherry!

3. 247paulgray says:

Gaia. Mother Earth. From where all life comes from.
    Good words Gypsie.

I’m also remembering a YouTube video that changed my whole outlook on all things survival.
    First few words were. “Wanna know the funny thing about the end of the world?
    It’ll still be there afterwards”

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much Paul – I feel so helpless in this. One tiny human in the scheme of things.

Liked by 1 person

4. Loved this Ami. Nature is wonderful. It is Man that destroys.

Liked by 1 person

5. Ingrid says:

Exactly! Mother nature will always have the last word…

Liked by 1 person

6. memadtwo says:

I hope you are right, that the earth will outlive our destructive reign. (K)

7. susanstoo says:

A good reminder, in undeniable first-person voice. I find solace in her, trust in her. I just wish she would bring less grief to the poorest of the poor. I suppose we have our environmental racism to thank for that.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you Susan. It’s a terrible quandary we’ve gotten ourselves into, fighting Nature, trying to conquer and tame her.
      Unfortunately, survival of the fittest doesn’t apply to only four legged creatures.

8. Agreed. As beautiful and gentle and serene as Mother Nature can be; she can also be the most destructive and violent force imaginable when it comes to protecting her heart. ❤️