Haibun

In response to Frank J. Tassone hosting for dVerse’s Haibun Monday 4-25-22: bird songs

By Gypsie-Ami Offenbacher-Ferris

hubpages.com

lovely woodpecker’s
rat-a-tat-tat
heralding spring

He shows up every morning, tapping and tapping without fail. His little red crest bobbing to and fro; he’s putting on quite a show. Not looking for food, no not this one, a girl of his own is what he wants and soon.

So, early in the morning and sometimes at dusk; my little friend is out there making a fuss. Night turns into day and day to dusk and the little red-crested woodpecker never gives up. The days grow warmer, the days grow longer. Fragrant
flowers bloom around him and then; two red-crested heads bobbing together – they’re making a lovely nest!

41 Comments

1. Thank you for the reblog! 😊

1. You’re welcome. Have a nice day! xx Michael

Liked by 1 person

1. It certainly echoes through the forest! Prose would go so nicely with that, must say..

1. Thank you so much. Would love to discuss in private forum please? 😊

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh dear, hope no offence was caused…my email is ainstarlingsson@protonmail.ch, am on Twitter @ah_starlingsson and Telegram.

Liked by 1 person

2. Goodness no!! Quite the opposite! Asking for assistance please! 😊 E-mail sent! Thank you!

2. Added prose – thoughts please!

1. Now this is a haibun! I love how you expanded the image with the story of these woodpeckers! Well done!

2. Thank you most kindly. 😊

2. Unmistakebly the woodpecker. Lovely.

Liked by 1 person

3. Love the haiku. The prompt, however, does call for haibun. Have you considered adding some prose to accompany it?

1. Gillena Cox says:

No text??? Just the haiku??? But the haiku is delightful. Line 2vpivots nicely

Much💛love

1. Thank you and apologies Gillena – I’m still learning! 😉

2. Added prose – thoughts please!

2. My apologies, I misread. Will attempt a redo. 🤭

Liked by 1 person

1. No worries. Thank you! I look forward to it!

2. Added prose – thoughts please!

4. sdtp33 says:

Like that “rat-a-tat-tat”. JIM

1. (smiles) Thank you Jim. 😊

5. rothpoetry says:

A beautiful haiku for a beautiful bird.

1. rothpoetry says:

You are welcome!

6. totally heard the pecking of the pecker! adorable. 🙂

7. Rob Kistner says:

Wonderful Haiku Ami! I love Pileated Woodpeckers… 🙂✌🏼❤️

8. Mish says:

Aww, he stole the show in this haibun. Love the romantic touch to this bird story.

Liked by 1 person

9. Oh I love this so glad to come by after the prose was added… the woodpecker also make sounds and it can be so uplifting.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much. I misunderstood the original instructions …. Post COVID-19 brain I guess!! Glad you came back!! 🪶😊🪶

10. This is delightful. I’ve also learned something new – haibun!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you Keith – it was my first time writing a Haibun as well. Always learning something new. 😊

Liked by 1 person

11. That’s a wonderful haibun, Ami!

1. Thank you so much! It’s my first try. 😊