The Museum

By Gypsie-Ami Offenbacher-Ferris

Photograph by Gypsie-Ami Offenbacher-Ferris

Sunday’s prompt word for Six Sentence Stories hosted by GirlieOnTheEdge and the Prompt Word is Tree.

Pointing in wonder at the huge thing made of fiberglass, fabric and optical lights behind the thick glass in the museum display, the youngest boy asked his dad what it was.

The dad looked up and could not believe how tall it was or that something living could ever get so big.

Amazed, he turned to his own dad, the youngest boys Grandpa and asked if he knew what the thing was that had captured the rapt attention of all of them.

Their grandpa strained to lift his head, his arthritic neck complaining so loudly, they all heard the ominous popping of his joints as he looked up and up higher and higher.

When his eyes finally reached the top, a small tear formed in his hazy eye when he told them it had been nearly a hundred years since he had seen one.

His eyes grew misty as he remembered and told them a story with love and longing how these used to grow by the thousands, created forests and woods and homes for all the wild creatures of the earth and he said with subdued reverence, that’s a replication of a tree my loves, extinct so long ago I’m sad to say and all the children echoed his word with innocent adulation, tree.

27 Comments

1. What a poignant Six, Ami. I hope your story is not a portent of our planet’s future but part of me believes it inevitable.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you so much for your lovely compliment and and I agree. I have hope, but it’s slim.

2. Gr8BigFun says:

A clearcut disaster! We keep deforesting at alarming rates. Great six.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you Gr8BigFun and yes, clear cutting without regard to our environment as well as the wildlife we are destroying is absolutely criminal!

3. Sadje says:

Such a sad story, that may become true one day.

4. We can only hope, educate and do what little we can individually and in groups!

5. Reena Saxena says:

A world without trees… and probably someone will claim to be an inventor by planting seeds in a lab petri dish.

6. clark says:

All too ‘cautionary’ a tale.
    Very effective Six.

7. Tom says:

A sombre warning, which hopefully won’t come to pass.

1. Yes, fingers on the keyboard – our only weapon. Thank you for reading. 🙏

8. Frank Hubeny says:

I am glad the grandfather could identify one.

1. Most certainly! Kind of like us with a land-lined dial-up telephone!! 📞

Liked by 1 person

9. There’s a tear in my eye, mirroring Grandpa’s.

Liked by 1 person

10. Hard to hit the like button, so I’ll hit it for like-minded kindred spirit. 🙏

11. emkingston says:

Whoa…my heart ached that this could one day be our reality. Thank you for such an eye-opening six, Ami!

1. Thank you for reading Em! 😊

1. emkingston says:

Most welcome! My pleasure!

12. Chris Hall says:

So cleverly written, Ami. That last sentence caused me to gasp out loud!
    (I was about to say that yesterday, when our power went down)

1. Thank you so very much Chris! 😊

13. Liz H says:

I hope we never see that day, when the trees are extinct. Also because we’d be extinct, too.

1. Exactly so!! Thank you for reading! 😊

Liked by 1 person

14. A world without trees. Unimaginable but sadly quite possible.

Liked by 1 person

15. Yes, unless we come up with some way to save them, we won’t be able to save ourselves. Thanks for reading Keith, I greatly appreciate your input! 😊

16. Yes, unless we take some drastic action that I do nit see happening with either this or the previous administration. Thank you for reading! 😊